Food For Thought




'Louise Jane Lemon ....You can do anything you want to, if you put your mind to it ' My Mum




'Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever' Lance Armstrong




'Effort is only effort when it begins to hurt ' Jose Ortega y Gassett





'The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step' Lao Tzu




'Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving'Albert Einstein

Saturday 15 January 2011

Bikes and me and a little bit more


I’m not sure if i should admit to this but i don’t actually have the best history with bikes.When i was ten i went away on a bike ride i shouldn’t have been on, up a very big hill i shouldn’t have been up. Half way down the hill off i came, making a right old mess of my knees, elbows, chest, and face not only that but i completely ruined my all time favourite dress !!  Fast forward twenty years and i think its a good idea to hire myself a wee bike to go for a leisurely ride over the golden gate bridge, yet again on the decline off i come and miss fracturing my skull by half an inch..
I’m under no illusion that this is going to be easy but this isn’t so much about the physical challenge .....this one’s personal!
So my first port of call was a trip to see my dad, to ask if he would drive the route along side me and sort out the logistics. In all honesty, probably the only man who can get away with telling me what to do and how to do it. With him on side i was ready to find some wheels and a week later i found myself in the local bike shop being bamboozled with bike jargon. I had visions of buying a nice sturdy mountain bike, however what i found myself leaving with, was a very light, slim and expensive road bike. Geez so many gears ...so little time!
As the planning evolved we found more people wanting to help in various different ways, whether that be through fundraising, offers of cycling part of the journey with me, local knowledge for the route and training partners. Even before my first official training day had started i already had so many people to thank.............No turning back now.......let the fun begin ;-)

No comments: